Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Before It's News


Grandmothers Against Bullshit
Yesterday I landed in downtown Seattle just as a small Occupy Seattle crowd gathered near Westlake Center. This was the moment before the news. The news is, almost always, about the point of conflict, the hopeless disaster, or the big win or discovery. But before the news, often, people are just people, moving toward the next moment.

This was a time of anticipation, preparation, and thought. Participants read about the day's events and goals, took photos, and warmed themselves with coffee. News teams readied their cameras and fuzzy microphones. In the background, the carousel spun out its cheerful music and magic pastel horses, and holiday lights embraced the leaf-free winter trees. In various and possibly opposing ways, the scene was optimistic.

Although I asked some people if I could take their pictures, I often preferred the unposed photos from the day. Again, it's the moment just next to The Moment, where people are simply peoplenot icons, not a cause, not a demographic.

Alone Together, Listening
 
Your Role and Mine

Fight Back

"I have asthma; I can't take risks."

Love is 100%

Free the Press

Loose Strings

Should I Whisper or Shout?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this posting. It is wonderful on so many levels, the quietness of Westlake Mall, the people, and the Seattle winter ambiance. Great thoughts.
    Coral

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Coral,

    Thanks so much. Hope all's well with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post, Michele! I, too, was downtown taking my lunch break and saw all the folks. They were (gloriously) in full-march mode at the time and I love your thoughts about the 'moments before.' I especially loved the 'Grandmothers against bullshit' sign. I have adopted that platform.

    Hope your jingle bells are shiny! Gwyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gwyn! Welcome back! Does your stance on "Grandmothers against bullshit" have anything to do with your travels? (I suspect not, but you never know.);) -- Michele

    ReplyDelete