Thursday, July 12, 2012

Replanting Yourself

Repotted Plants in Vintage Containers. Background: Photo by Star Rush, Calendar by Margaret DeWilliam Horton.
Repotting house plants recently, I found it impossible not to think in metaphor. Liberating those living--but not thriving--things from their parched, squashed confines, it struck me that once in a while we all need to replant ourselves. We need to tip over those cramped containers we call "comfort zones," loosen and untangle long-held assumptions, and give ourselves room to grow. Periodically replanting ourselves is essential to branching out and thriving.

Why not take a little time, say on the first day of each month, to replant yourself? Evaluate old habits. Renew your commitment to what's important to you. Toss out what's not working anymore. Deadhead useless and destructive thoughts. Encourage new growth in new directions.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this idea, Michele. Thanks for re-framing it in that way. Of course, I would like to eliminate all my houseplants and just grow the garden outside, and that's a whole other metaphor for me to explore.

    ReplyDelete