Friday, September 14, 2012

Well Hello, Lesula

I wonder if mine is a common reaction or if I'm just a science and nature geek. I was awestruck yesterday when I heard about a newly identified monkey species. Our new primate friend, lesula, features some interesting bright blue coloring. The lesula shown in a popular news photo seems to have soulful eyes and a wise face. How empathetic and smart the model actually is, I have no idea.

I find hope in the discovery of new life forms, assuming our new friends don't pose serious and immediate danger, as, for example, certain viruses do. It's intriguing to see yet another survival adaptation, and I love the sense that we simply don't know everything there is to know about, well, anything. I like the idea that we will keep discovering and learning for a very long time.

So, welcome lesula. Nice to know you're out there. And a belated welcome to the other nine recently discovered mammals featured in this Guardian article.

No comments:

Post a Comment