Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Santa's Little Helper...and Mine

In November and December, many things increase: clothing layers, retail spending, calorie consumption. Also on the rise are bits of ripped paper in compost bins. This confetti is the final stage of the most humble and reliable of holiday helpers: personal lists. Their purpose fulfilled, lists are ripped (often with great satisfaction on the ripper's part) into tiny pieces and tossed to the worms.

Fancy List: Whatever Gets the Job Done

These days, as holidays approach, you, or someone you love, is without a doubt hunkered down with coffee, pen, and paper, making lists. To Do. Budget for Gifts. Invitees. Items to Pack. Groceries Now. Groceries Day Before Thanksgiving.

It's OK, I Know What It Means
This is personal. The laptop has been shoved aside. I, and from my observation, many others, write personal lists by hand. We have our own codesasterisks, arrows, different arrows, and underlines. We abbreviate in ways we understand even if others don't. I suspect we write by hand because it somehow prepares us for the tasks ahead. It's tangible evidence of readiness, in our very own language. We don't have to communicate the list to anyone else.

Making lists gives us time to think through priorities and task order. On the way to a final list, we cross out first thoughts in favor of better ones, we rip pages from notebooks and start over. Making lists this way is not efficient, but it often helps us to be efficient later.

The payoff for making a good list is not just being organized and clear headed. The payoff is physically checking each item off the list as you complete it. Confession: Sometimes, if I forget to put an item on a list but then I take care of that item, I add it to the list and then check it off. Don't tell anybody.

Here's hoping all your lists are manageable, and that you thoroughly enjoy the upcoming holidays!

Obsolete List? Phone Book, 2011


2 comments:

  1. I make lists, too, and by hand. I've tried the to-do lists on my iPhone and desktop--never lasts more than 2 weeks, max. There's something tactile about writing what I am going to do (also tactile) and be satisfied with 1. a sense of order at the list-making and 2. the sense of accomplishment when I return to scratch a line across what's done. Can't beat the ability to take my scrap of paper or my mule skin notebook with me wherever i go. That's portability and timelessness. I like finding old lists all over the place--can't do that with electronic lists. They just sit, hidden, in an OS somewhere. Thanks for this, Michele. Got me really thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Star, you said it all so well. One thing that haunts me is that I often find old lists that keep listing the same things -- things I never seem to get to. That's eye opening, too. -- MIchele

    ReplyDelete